Friday, February 28, 2014

When it rains it pours

2/17/14

Hello Family!

Another week in Brazil has passed by! We have been basking in the glorious rain for a little while. It is such a blessing to have some clouds to cool it down a little bit down here! Last night with about an hour left of proselyting it started pouring and it felt so good to be out soaked in the rain! It´s so different down here and I love it! The reality of being in Brazil and a little bit of culture shock settled in this week but I am learning and loving it! 

Mom, to answer your questions; my companion is awesome! Sister Rocha is from Florianopolis and is tons of fun and very bold with everyone. She doesn´t let anyone give excuses and she is a really great teacher. She is just an all around amazing missionary! It is such a blessing to be serving with her. I am learning so much and we have a lot of fun together! My apartment is great! Every building in Brazil is just tile floors - a little different but real nice because of the heat. We share an apartment with two other sisters; Sister Araújo and Sister Sasine. Sister Sasine happens to have randomly been in my EFY group years ago when Catherine Howard and I went to Amherst! Crazy,small world. Our ward is great! Lots of fun. Very Brazilian haha. Everyone talks a lot and just has fun! The more Portuguese I learn the more I get to know the members. (still working on that haha) Portuguese is coming. I learn and understand and can speak more and more everyday! I still kind of get lost when people are speaking really fast but I can generally follow what is being said and I am speaking more and more. I´m learning to just speak and not worry about grammar. Mas tudo bom! Oh and also, sandals are awesome! They are saving my feet!

This week was great! Our zone did a `Casa Aberta` which means we all went around the church inviting anyone and everyone to come to the church and look around and see what it is like. We talked to SO many people and saw a few miracles! One in particular was a woman named Sueli. She said she has often walked by our church and wanted to know more but didn´t know when meeting where or how she could learn more. Sister Rocha and I `knocked` on her door and she was SO happy. She said she had been waiting and waiting for missionaries to come by! She lives in the other sisters´ area but she is wonderful!

We are working with a family now that are just incredible! Their names are Lidiani e Ademeer. They aren´t married (like the rest of Brazil) but they are so prepared! We taught them this week and as we were teaching them the restoration and as I was reciting the first vision Lidiani began to tear up! I was reminded that it doesn´t matter if I can speak the language very well or not. The spirit will teach, the spirit will testify. This is the LORD´S work, not mine. 

I feel so privileged to be serving a mission. Sunday was a beautiful day. Two families that we are teaching came to church!!!! It is really hard to get people to church and to have people follow through on their commitments but they came!!! And all of the members welcomed them in so warmly.

This gospel is truly the only true gospel on the earth today. We have a modern day prophet who leads and guides us today! We have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, the SAME gospel Christ established when he was on the earth! What a glorious message I get to share with everyone every day. What a glorious gospel we have! Heavenly Father truly loves His children. Living the gospel principles is the only way to have eternal happiness! I am so grateful to have an eternal family and i want that for everyone. I love you all!!!!!!!!!

HURRAH FOR ISRAEL!

Love,

Sister Tingey

P.S. People to pray for:
Juliana
Humberto, Silvia, e Camila
Barbara, Edgar, e fam
Elieza, Leandro, e fam
Marisa e fam
Lidiani e Ademeer


These people are so wonderful, I love them so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment